Welcome to the #1 124 Spider Forum and 124 Spider community dedicated to 124 Spider owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the 124 Spider Forum today!

124 Spider pricing meets or beats MX-5 with same chassis

124Fan

Administrator
Reactions

When Fiat launched the 124 Spider, based on the chassis of Mazda's new MX-5 Miata, it appeared to be positioned as a slightly more luxurious version of the Japanese roadster. One would assume that would carry a premium price tag, but now that Fiat's unveiled its pricing scheme, it appears to compete directly with the Mazda.

The Fiat 124 Spider will launch with three trim levels -- the base Classica ($24,995), the more luxurious Lusso ($27,495) and the hopped-up Abarth ($28,195). All those prices assume a standard six-speed manual transmission (a six-speed auto is a $1,350 option) and they don't include the $995 destination charge.

If you're feeling especially fancy and quick on the draw, you can opt for the Fiat 124 Spider Prima Edizione Lusso. This brevity-averse trim level will comprise the first 124 cars produced, offering a unique paint job and some limited-edition items, and that will run you $35,000 (again, before $995 destination).

While that's not strange by itself, it's a little weird when you look at Mazda's MX-5 pricing. The base Fiat is a bit more than the $24,915 MX-5 Sport, but the Abarth -- with its 160-horsepower, 184-pound-feet output -- is cheaper than both the MX-5 Club ($28,600) and the topped-out MX-5 Grand Touring ($30,065). It's also more powerful, as the Miata's sole engine puts out 155 horsepower and 148 pound-feet of torque.

Even though it appears that this could take a bite out of Mazda's own sales, it stands to reason that Mazda won't be too bothered. The car is niche to begin with, and Mazda will be building both vehicles alongside one another in Japan (the Fiat's engine is from Italy, though), so it's not like Mazda's losing out on money that it would otherwise receive hand over fist.

The factory will be busy, and extra demand should keep it that way, so it could very well be a win-win for the Japanese automaker.

Text Source: Road Show

Tech31

Reactions
I started off looking for a Mazda MX-5 and they are a very nice car not knowing the 124 was basically the same car.But there are not very many 124's around here.But I found a 2018 Lusso in red that I like auto trans and bought it for $5000.00 less than a base Mazda with manual trans and it was a 2017. The Fiats here in Canada just are not selling very well and not sure why because I think it looks a bit better.
Bill