Welcome to the #1 124 Spider Forum and 124 Spider community dedicated to 124 Spider owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the 124 Spider Forum today!

What made you decide to purchase a Fiat 124 Spider?

Reactions
I'm curious as to why everyone decided to get the Fiat 124 Spider over the Mazda MX-5 or any other roadster?

For me I love the way the Fiat 124 Spider look compared to the MX-5.

snowman

Reactions
i currently drive a MK3 MX5 and am looking to upgrade to a newer car and i like the way the 124 looks over the MK4.

Quite suprised no-one else has posted on this yet.

Reactions
i currently drive a MK3 MX5 and am looking to upgrade to a newer car and i like the way the 124 looks over the MK4.

Quite suprised no-one else has posted on this yet.
I test drove both the MK4 Miata and 124 back to back on the same and surprisingly the both drove very different considering the share the same platform. Even without the turbo, the Miata seems to get up to speed just as fast as the 124. At the end of the day it just came down to styling and material that made me sway towards the 124.

Reactions
I was after another two seat soft top (having previously owned an '07 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.2 V6 JTS and '03 Mazda MX-5 NBII), and just happened across the 124!

The ND looks dainty to me, so another MX-5 was never an option. For the price point (in Australia) there simply isn't anything else worth considering! That it's Japanese made with Italian design flair is such a huge added bonus, I couldn't be happier! :)

Masi 32

Reactions
I was lucky enough to get a New 1972 Datsun 240Z when I was a 16 year old Kid. The only 2 things (other than more performance) that my Dad and little brothers wished for was a 5 speed tranny instead of the 4 speed and a convertible model that never came to pass. As we owned 6 of the little jewels over the next 40 years we did exchange the 4 speeds for 5 speeds tranny's and got the Performance gains we dreamed of, but never attained the Convertible Model although there was a kit that involved cutting the top off (OUCH!). The new Fiat 124 Spider is extremely familiar to the original 240Z's when they 1st came out. It is a beautiful new Sports car & it is a CONVERTABLE! Only thing I regret with our new to us, 2017 Spider is I got the Automatic (Never thought I would ever say that) because my wonderful wife of 40 years cannot drive a Clutch. She has been way too good to me over the last 40 to keep her from driving this neat new Sports Car. Thanks for making this forum available for us and hoping to do a few moderate performance mods to our little Convertible. Shhhh, Don't tell my Wife that last part. Looking forward to any suggestions to reasonable & moderate performance improvements. Tommy

katkwik

Reactions
I am new to the Spider forum. I just read your post from 2016,but that is the reason is why I bought my 2018 (Classica) 8k miles.Love the lines,how it drives and the deal I got ,as well as the still 39 months of bumper to bumper warranty. Japanese quality wrapped in Italian body !

Reactions
"Red Italian 2-seater sports-car" ... I know it's Japanese and I actually wanted white w/ black-trim but now I have the red, I love it. Also wouldn't have bought it if it was built by Fiat (Fix It Again Tony).

Japanese mechanicals with Italian presentation ... oh and everyone here has an auto 4x4 pick-up or SUV in NZ ... so I love the rear wheel, manual, convertible and being so different to the crowd

mackz

Reactions
Fiat 124 Spider is the best car

Reactions
It was on sale back during the early spring of ‘19. Classica with a manual and the only option was the tech package. Others loss was my gain.